Saturday 20 February 2010

27th January - Day 3 Kilimanjaro climb

Today was quite a short trek to Mawenzi Tarn at about 4300 metres, only about 4 kilometres. I kept up but still found it quite hard going. Again, I thought it me rather than the altitude. I think Mawenzie is lovely, much more rugged and dramatic than Kili.

Here is Alex (my shadow lol) in the foreground, leading me into camp. Again, I wasn't far behind the others but today it didn't really matter as we had plently of time. The camp was next to a small lake, which made it the prettiest of all the camps - well not pretty, maybe picturesque is a better word, the calmness of the lake was certainly in stark contrast to its surroundings.This camp is quite high and, as clouds passed the camp and surrounding area you would be able to see for miles one minute and not a hand in front of your face the next.














Later, another of the Assitant Guides (another Alex) would take Simon and I on the aclimatisation excursion, climbing up over a steep rocky outcrop and I made it up there fine. This had taken us up to about 4500 metres and back down to the camp. This was the view of the camp looking down on the way up this outcrop













As I had no problems today I did feel better about things.

No comments:

Post a Comment