Saturday 20 February 2010

30th January - Day 6 Kilimanjaro climb

Alex came for me as he promised and we began the long trek back to Horombo. Those that summit return to Horombo but by a different route, via Gilmans Point. I was the only one in the camp from our team, so I knew hey had all made it at least to Stella Point. I would walk alone today, on the same route as I had taken the day before, so nothing was going to be new. I named this the 'Walk of Shame', not because its shameful, just that it's a shame that people walking down this route didn't get to the summit. The previous day we had watched a man in his 40's, obviously athletic and well used to strenuous exercise, pass us on this walk down. - fairness doesnt always come in to a Kili summit.

I felt dreadful at the start of the walk, wanting to puke/headache/disappointment etc. but this got better as we went down obviously. Alex stayed in front of me and just left me to walk, knowing that nothing he could do would make me feel any better. He made sure I drank water and had rest stops but conversation was pointless really.

I approached Horombo to find Kevin, who had summitted already there. Kevin is a super fit athlete and had, as anticipated, made it up and down in a very quick time. He took the time to come  out to the track and greet me. I congratulated him and he comiserated with me. I then just went to our tent and flaked out.

Simon's account of his return from the summit
What Goes Up Must Come Down! 
All credit must be given to Sifuel and his planning, as he had hoped we would summit to see dawn arrive from the highest point in Africa! The clouds lay out below and the sun was able to appear over the horizon unobstructed. However, it was cold, -21 degrees C ground temperature and a lot colder with the wind-chill factor! This meant that time at the top was limited. It was not long before the camera, fingers and hands started to be affected by the negative temperature.


It had taken me just over 6 ½ hours to climb to the top...... it now came into to my consciousness that I had to find the reserves to get down!


The return trek was via Gilman’s Point. This meant a walk across the Kilimanjaro plateau. This walk was on also across some of the permanent snow covered parts of the mountain. There was little width to the path in places and even though it was a gradual descent you had to watch your footing to negotiate the snow and narrow jagged rock outcrops that had to be passed - as well as the throng of other walkers who were trying to get to the summit from the Gilman’s Point ascent route.


Arriving at Gilman’s point I could see the scree slope that was to be our descent to the camp below. It didn’t look that far, oh how wrong I was! The descent was a lot longer than I had anticipated and walking down the scree slope was not the easiest of tasks, it seemed endless. Eventually I caught up with the others in the group. It was here whilst getting my boots off to rest my now throbbing right foot that I questioned my ability to complete the final 10 kilometers back to our night’s camp, where I hoped I would find Lesley not too badly affected by AMS. Sifuel had told me when he had caught up with the party with Kevin (they left Barafu Huts at 01.30 hrs) that Lesley had made the decision to quite her attempt owing to AMS.


An hours rest, some coffee, a piece of fruit and some of Ed’s Ibuprofen gel seem to do the trick. I was good to go again. Unbelievably as I started the walk back with Alex (Jnr) who had stuck with me all the way up, across and down the mountain, I started to feel a lot better and more energised. I even found my self striding out in front with Alex and making the best time of the group, chatting away quite happily, eventually arriving back at our night’s camp at about 15:00 hrs.


What an experience! 


No comments:

Post a Comment