Saturday 20 February 2010

28th January - Day 4 Kilimanjaro climb

Today we trekked up a bit from Mawenzie Tarn, to something like 4500 metres. This height was reached walking about 4 kilometres but then we walked something like 7 kilometres down to Horombo huts at 3700 metres. When one (i.e. me!) finds the inclines quite difficult, this process is quite soul destroying as I know I have got to go all the way back up again the next day! However, this is necessary for acclimatisation obviously. Great view of Kili today, with Uhuru Peak where the snow is up to the left. Notice that we've walked a fair way round the mountain from where I first pictured it, where there was a lot more snow visible.














Looking back to Mawenzie














Stop for rest, refreshment and to admire the view














We get first real sight of the Giant Lobelias here. Well, there were some earlier in the trek but they had been ravaged by wildfires.


The end of the downward trek into Horombo Huts camp














We would camp here. There are huts and purpose built toilets but they are still dire. Trouble is, it's a bit too public to go in the bushes if you know what I mean!! We would all return here after the summit attempt whether we make it or not.

We arrived quite early in the afternoon. It was hot and the sun was very strong. The only way to stay out of it was to go in the tent, so I decided to go lie down. From the tent I heard shrieks of laughter from the others as they played charades. Here is Simon's turn caught by Ed - he says he was doing The Hobbit, so lord knows why he has 3 fingers up!


















That day at dinner time I found it difficult to eat much. I had had a great apetite before this but I didn't really think about the reason why, I just ate what I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment